Saturday, May 17, 2008

WE DID IT BABY!!!!!






TODAY was the day!

7:30 a.m. Woke up and got going, dressed, packed up water bottles, camera and all that fun stuff, stretched out and got going!
8:00 a.m. Picked up daughter Tiffany from her friends and headed to the race!
8:30 a.m. Checked in at the race, put in for our prizes, got our name stickers, and geared up to go.
9:00 a.m. The gun went off and we were OUTTA THERE BABY!

The Rocky Mountain Middle School 5k Fun Run this morning was a blast! The weather was beautiful, the people were nice, racers and coordinators alike. Tiffany and I had a ball!
I do have one minor -ok, not so minor- complaint, the route was VERY POORLY put together, the markers were bad, it was not well planned. Basically there was "SOME" orange cones and orange tape in areas and others had no markings whatsoever. The race was led by a guy on a 4-wheeler and the runners that were fast (that would NOT be us) kept up with him but those who did the walk/run thing (that WOULD be us) were left in the dust with hardly an idea of where to go.
Along the way there were a couple of bystanders who acted like they knew where we were supposed to go and sent us off in crazy directions (like a dead end fenced off field) and we had to back track - blah blah blah - and it really was ticking me off. HOWEVER - we got back on the right race path and actually ended up doing much more than our fair share of distance (it was supposed to be 3.1 miles but I think we did almost 3.5??).
Anyway, we did the race in 39 minutes and a few seconds, and ran for about 1/2 of it so I felt good. We were in the slower group, of course, but we were defintaly NOT the last ones (maybe in the last 1/4 of the racers???) and I felt really really great with what we did!
So, here are the before and after photos and one of the group getting all gathered up after the race for prizes! The photos are simply dreadfull but I am fine with that since they mark a HUGE day in my personal history! So, I apologize, but hey, at least I got any shots at all! LOL!
Tiffany says NEXT year we will both place for awards in our age groups - I believe her!!!!!

Biggest thanks to everyone who has encouraged me along this road - I still have a lot of uphill ahead but the path has been so much easier with all the love and support from you guys! Can't wait to tell you about the next race!

HUGS!!!!
Darla


In the end, the choice you make makes you.


** Just looking back at old blog entries, 2 years ago today I was in Provo UT at CKU with Robin and friends.....last year today I was cleaning house and getting geared up for kids to get out of school and worried about an upcoming weigh in! LOL Guess 2 years ago is ALOT different that just the last year?? hmmm Interesting to look back I think! **

3 comments:

Cindy Marchant said...

Darla, 39 minutes???? That's fantastic!!! OMGawd I can't even imagine. And that was with the detours! LOL! So very proud of you and Tiff!

:Jayne said...

WTG DARLA! Keep up the great fitness!

:J

Ruth.E said...

Awesome, absolutely awesome. You have come so far, there is no turning back. So proud of you.
Ruth