Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thyroid Information

So, since I have undergone all this crazy thyroid stuff the past few months, I have had tons and tons of questions relating to it. A lot of gals that I know "think" they might have HYPOTHYROIDISM (aka: underactive thyroid) and have asked me so many questions. My best suggestion would be to ask your Doctor and see about having the bloodwork done to see if you do in fact have levels that are off - and also there is tons of info on the internet which help with understanding this disease.
For me, when I was first diagnosed like 16 years ago, I had no idea that mine was off - I had a lot of the symptoms but never put them together. It is likely that I had it even back in Jr High or High School and just never knew it. I was diagnosed after I'd had major surgery in 1992 and all we had to do was put me on a prescription for it. To be honest, I was not very faithful in taking that medication over the years. I really didn't see a big difference when I was on or off of it so I was not diligent, that along with I did not keep a regular Dr so it was difficult to stay with it.
When my Dr put me on the medications at the first of this year, he was very adiment that I must stay on the Rx - my levels were way way off from where they should have been and he was pretty sure that it was effecting my ability to lose weight. I was totally amazed at how great I felt after I got on the meds and got regulated - I did not know I COULD feel so good - I decided that I was not going to let myself get off them again. At that time the Dr also noted that my thyroid was enlarged but nothing to worry about. As you know, as a few months progressed it became way more enlarged and then I had my surgery to have it removed. This choice, was hard yet easy because my thyroid was SO underactive that it was basically not producing hardly any horomone at all so going from that to where I am now was not going to be a big change. But it was. I am still hypothyroid - as in underactive - as in my body produces none of the horomone now because I have no thyroid - but getting the medications to level it out has been hard. I am having a lot more of the symptoms, well, not more, just more intense. Here are a few according to Yahoo Health Online:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms of hypothyroidism occur throughout the body. In adults, they usually develop slowly and are often mistaken for part of the aging process. Symptoms in adults may include:

Coarse and thinning hair.
Brittle nails.
Dry skin.
A yellowish tint to the skin.
Slow body movements and speech.
Inability to tolerate cold.
Feeling tired, sluggish, or weak.
Memory problems, depression, or difficulty concentrating.
Constipation.
Heavy or irregular menstrual periods that may last longer than 5 to 7 days.
Other, less common symptoms may include an enlarged thyroid gland (goiter), modest weight gain, a hoarse voice, muscle aches and cramps, a puffy face, and swelling of the arms, hands, legs, and feet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only one that is different for me, is that I have had a problem with getting too hot easily my whole life - I sweat like crazy - no, I don't perspire, I SWEAT! However, since the surgery my feet and fingers and nose seem to be cold almost all the time - so that is one thing that is different for me. Otherwise almost all the other symptoms or traits of hypothyroidism are right on track.
So - if you have these symptoms and are concerned, I really would just talk to your Dr about them.
I feel like maybe had I been more consistant with my treatment over the years I may not have ended up where I am today - the surgery was good in many aspects for me but in the long run I wish I had not had to have had it.
Darla

1 comment:

:Jayne said...

I share your sentiments! I've been diagnosed Hypothyroid for over 30 years! The key is to stay on the meds.
But, as a warning to other readers, the symptoms of Hyper(overactive) thyroid can also mimmic the symptoms of Hypo thyroid. It's a simple blood test, every woman should have done.

:J
PS Darla did you know if you take thyroid drugs that you shouldn't eat brussel sprouts? Eating them negates your meds. I didn't know that, and I love Brussel Sprouts!