Monday, April 02, 2007

So Crazy! So Cool!


Imagine THIS sweet little cabin burried in snow. Well, with spring thaw, it really was not burried..more like, just deep. About 3-4 feet deep to be exact, in deep, wet, crusty snow. Try WALKING, uhh no, wading through that snow to get to this cabin. Ahhhh yes, that is what we did yesterday - JUST FOR FUN?!?!
OK first off, this is not the "exact" cabin we went up to - but it is really simliar looking. Same style but in better shape! LOL So, our friends bought a cabin up in Island Park , ID to do a renovation on and rent out and/or sell. We have been hearing about it for a while now so we decided it would be a "FUN" Sunday afternoon excursion to drive up there and wade our sorry butts through the hip deep snow and see it. (OK Ed, you did not think it would be fun, but it was wasn't it??!!)
So, we get up there, beautiful drive up into Island Park, about an hour and 1/2 from Idaho Falls.. so pretty. We get there and go deeper and deeper into the wooded cabin areas and rutted MUDDY roads and finally pull off into a little clearing on the side of the road, jump inot our friends big truck with them and drive down a bit further. We unload and literally step out of the truck (jacked up truck too) onto a nice "drift" of 3 ft of snow. Ohhhhh kay then.
Well,here I am in my jeans, tennis shoes and ankle socks.... my polar fleece jacket and little knit gloves, I proceed to follow our friend Blake as he trucked his way out across the snow to the cabin (a good 100 yards from the road). He is cruisin' along and almost at a jog sort of skiffing along the top of the snow drifts and I take 2 steps and BAM! I drop to my HIPS into the snow. Start laughing hysterically .... pull myself up and take another step and SINK! to my hips again! So goes the VERY VERY VERY slow process of getting over to the cabin. ( cralwing on my hands and knees at a couple points!) Meanwhile everyone else is sinking as well... (oh and Blake sunk a few steps too, but being over 6 foot tall he just hopped right out of the holes!! What the heck? NO FAIR! )
Finally, we get to the cabin.... my dear loving dh took the shovel and made an attempt at shoveling out the entry way for me.... but that was so not happening so we sort of crawled and slid over the drift at the doorway ! LOLOL!!! What a HOOT! By the time I actually got INSIDE the cabin, my jeans were dripping soaking wet as if I had just waded through a river! Insane!
So here I am thinking that I would go in the cabin, warm up (HA!) and dry off a bit before we had to wade back out to the trucks!? HA HA HA! Well, the cabin is stripped, gutted, ready for renovation and basically has nothing in it. Since they just purchased it they have not switched over the power yet and thus the propane lines are forze and there was no heat! So here were the group of us, sopping wet, freezing and wandering around this cabin in the dark! Gotta love it! Well, we scoped it out, they took some notes for reference for the renovations and we then trucked back out.....but found that the snow under the trees was MUCH less deep and so we had a super easy trip back out to the trucks thank goodness! Meanwhile, I am still dripping, get in the car and have dh blast the heat on my legs and feet..........
We decide to stop for lunch at a cabin style inn up there .. thank goodness I got the seat by the fire! After a WAY YUMMY lunch (including homemade handcut frenchfries) we headed home. I broke down and took my shoes and socks off in the car and let the heat just blast my feet - it felt so good! When we finally got home, I took a long hot bath and discovered that I had some "lovely" scrapes and bruises on my legs from the crusted parts of the snow. OUCH! My left knee is actually bruised and a bit swollen today - but I must not have felt it yesterday bc of the cold?? Who knows.
End of story, it was a TOTAL and COMPLETE blast! I seriously had a fun time and would do it again in a second! (with a snowmobile, bibs, boots and hand warmers!) No, really, it was a blast, I had a great time and am so excited for our friends ... it will be cool to see the transforamtion on the cabin and I am sure more great memories to come! :O) Oh, and no, I did not take the camera. I am sure the photos would have been PRICELESS!?!

1 comment:

:Jayne said...

Darla!
What a fun day! I can feel the cold and snow from your description. Glad you and ED enjoyed it!

:J