Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Self Evaluation Time: Do I Need a Raise?

OK Silly me, really, a raise? Maybe? OK, no. Praise? Yes! I think so anyway. I feel like someone out there has to appriciate my efforts in being a SAHM and if it is not my dh, kids or roomie, then it would have to be me? Right? LOL Self Evaluation = Self Appriciation!

Sometimes I feel like I am this built in housekeeper, maid, taxi, cook, laundrymat, dishwasher, janitor, babysitter, and pet attendant. Now obviously, I am just doing my part in our home, after all I wanted to be the SAHM and I wanted 4 kids and happy lil' family. Right? But at times it is just overwhelming and sometimes you just feel under-appriciated. Not that I expect every person to walk in the door and thank me for every clean shirt or every dish washed... although an occasional 'thanks' would be well receieved... but more like, SHOWN appriciation for thinsg. Not trashing a clean kitchen or throwing clean clothes in the dirty basket. Stuff like that. I feel like it is reasonable to be cleaning up after my 5 yr old. I don't feel like it is reasonable to be cleaning up after a 12 and 14 yr old ... or adults. I scrub the bathrooms in the upstairs 3 times a week...every week. That leaves one bathroom to be cleaned. ONE. Yet, today, once again I was in there scrubbing the toilee' and emptying trash and sweeping floors. I don't even USE this bathroom! I think a chore chart is in order and I think young and old will be included because obviously people cannot see what is right under thier noses and although I am responsible for trying to run a nice, clean, comfy home, I am not anyone's maid and certainly do not need to be cleaning up some of the messes that I do. I figure I spend 2 hours a day cleaning and doing dishes and other major housework...that does not include the neverending loads of clothes that are constantly in the washer! I earn my keep by golly! Yup, I need a raise....

5 comments:

Mae said...

YES, you do...need a raise, that is...or, praise. I'm sure this won't make you feel any better today but, my two children are now 33 and 29...and, they tell me all the time how grateful they are for all I did for them when they were younger. They tell me what a great mother I was and am. I had to wait a "few" years to get that recognition but, it was worth the wait. Your recognition will come...just you wait and see!

Now, go make that chore list!

Mae

:Jayne said...

By Golly you do deserve that raise! or Praise! You, Darla, my dear, are the hardest working mommy I know, but it's time for the little darlings and DH to help pitch in. When all 3 of mine were home, they had to give me two hours on Saturday of good ole' housecleaning to help me out. Even then I felt like I was the only one who cared enough to put my dirty dishes in the sink, pick up my towels off the bathroom floor or throw all my dirty clothes in the hamper!
Perhaps you should go on a Mommy strike! Then maybe everyone around you would see how much you bust your hiney to make their world a better place!

:J

Kip said...

I think I"ve told you this before but I think all your kids, even the youngest, should have weekly chores and consequences if they don't do them. There's no reason, with 4 kids, where you should be doing all that you do. That's the teacher in me talking now! Sometimes, it takes a longggggg time for people to appreciate others and your time will come! But, let's lay down some rules!!

Mama Kip

crazydarla said...

I guess I should rephrase this ladies... dh works hard, 12 hour days. I do not think he should be having to come home and clean house, do dishes, laundry,ect. It is more the kids and roomie that I have frustrations with. Ed is pretty good about helping where he can and he does so much more with the cars, yard, ect that I really dont' expect him to be doing "chores" too !! Hee hee!

Rhonda said...

Yeah I would say that you do need a raise and so do I. You do so much for that family and roomie that you do deserve a raise.

Rhonda