Monday, October 31, 2005

Life Lessons on Friendship and Other Facts...

In honor of Halloween I will do ORANGE today :O)

Well, let me tell you a little about friends. Friends do not shame, friends do not guilt, friends do not force, friends do not tell secrets. Friends make time, don't demand it. Friends share their joy and pain, not just their pain. Friends ask how YOU are, not insist on dumping all their crap on you. Friends make you laugh, not stress out. Friends phone calls are welcome, not dreaded. Freinds spontanious visits are short and sweet, not long and disruptive.

do you see a pattern?

I have gone through my life choosing some pretty mean and thoughtless friends. I used to think that it was because I had such a low self esteem...but I think somehow I tend to go for 'needy' people. NO MORE! I refuse to be used, dumped on, guilted out and demanded of. I will choose friends who are fun, loving, crazy, silly, spontaneous, caring, thoughtful, and true. I will choose freinds who CARE about ME and will listen. I will choose freinds who have time for my concerns.

I don't know what else to say.....but this was one hell of a lesson to learn at 34 freakin' years of age!

Darla


PS HAPPY HALLOWEEN (maybe it was ME who got tricked??)

1 comment:

Tamara, Southern Belle in Training said...

What's been done to you is completely unacceptable. You didn't, and don't, deserve it. Sometimes, Darla, it really is best to back away. You can only accept so much, give so much, overlook so much, before being nice turns into being willing to be abused. Take it from someone with a lot of experience, you can't let that happen. Keep standing up for yourself. You will never regret it.

Hang in there, girlie.