Saturday, December 26, 2009

Loved this local Christmas Story on News 8

Christmas Angels Pass Out Hundreds At Idaho Falls Dollar Tree

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 11:13 PM



By Megan Boatwright, Local News 8 Reporter

It's the season for miracles, and it seems we have one happening in Eastern Idaho.

For the past two days shoppers at the Dollar Tree store in Idaho Falls, have had random encounters with a group of people intent on passing the Christmas spirit to those in need.

It's a busy time for the Dollar Tree with lots of shoppers picking up last minute gifts. In the last two days four people have spent a lot of money at the store, the only catch is they haven't bought anything.

"I walked out of the store in tears," said Melissa Lopez.

A single mother of two, Lopez was shopping for last minute Christmas gifts with her children when a well dressed man approached them Monday night.

"He said Merry Christmas and slipped me a $100 bill," Lopez said. After recovering from the initial shock of the experience, Lopez realized she wasn't alone.

"This lady came up to me and was mumbling under her breath," said Dollar Tree Cashier, Monica Villanueva. "I couldn't understand what she was saying."

Villanueva has worked at the Idaho Falls store for two years. The cashier says she's never seen anything like this before.

"The woman said, ‘those people are angels,' I didn't really understand what she meant," Villanueva said. "Then the woman said, ‘I've been struggling with Christmas this entire year. I haven't had any money and that man just gave me $100'."

In Fact the entire Dollar Tree staff has witnessed the same group of people give away hundreds of dollars. The employees say the ‘Christmas Angels' are calculated. The good Samaritans look at what people are buying, and only give money to those purchasing necessities.

"It gives you have hope that there are good people out there," said Villanueva.

For Melissa Lopez the encounter was nothing short of a miracle and once in a lifetime lesson for her children.

"My kids witnessed the whole thing," she said. "I hope they remember it forever and remember that Christmas is a time of giving."

Even though Monica Villanueva didn't get a hundred dollar bill of her own, the mysterious strangers made this Christmas one she'll never forget.

"It made my night," Monica said. "I almost started crying. I kept thinking if we don't help each other then who will?"

No comments: