Monday, August 31, 2009

APPLES!!!!!!!!!













Micheal-man and I went on an apple picking adventure
this afternoon, what a time we had and all in the
name of LOVE for dried apples! LOL
Last summer I was taught much about food storage by
my wonderful best friend Lisa and her friend
(and mine!!) Nari...
I had done some canning before but I learned all
sorts of good stuff from these two friends and I was
so excited about it that I went and found a used food
dehydrator and went to town!
I have been waiting anxiously for the time of year
to roll around when people find themselves with a
surplus of garden goodies and trees swoooning to the
ground full of fruit all ripe and ready for the picking!
THAT opportunity was TODAY! Hooray!
So, Micheal and I went to this gals house and had three
apple trees ready to be rid of their fruit - BUT they
had previous visitors so we had to get the apples from
the tip top of the trees!
Micheal bravely climbed up
and brought down dozens of apples for Mom... then we
wised up and started to SHAKE the trees and lemme' tell
you - that is the way to go! Aside from a few hits to
the head for both of us (yes, I am serious!) we got a
haul of apples of several varieties!!! We brought them
home, washed a couple dozen and started to core/peel
them and man did it go fast! I had Micheal on the corer
and he was a crazy boy! We had all the trays on the
food dehydrator filled so quick! I can harldy wait!
My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE dehydrated apples and so this
will be a fun treat to keep working on each afternoon
after school - we can do a batch each day this week and
hopefully work through all the apples AND build up a
good supply of yummy and healty snacks!
Gotta love apples!

:O) Darla

Hmmmmmm don't know why that first photo posted 2x but
I can't get it to come off of the post, sorry! LOL

No comments: